Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Fly

"The Fly" by William Blake
Little Fly,
Thy summer's play
My thoughtless hand
Has brushed away.
Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?
For I dance
And drink, and sing,
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.
If thought is life
And strength and breath
And the want
Of thought is death;
Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die.
William Blake obviously has feelings for the small and annoying insects. In the poem he describes what it would be like to be in the place as something that most people are annoyed by. He compares the feelings of a fly to a human which makes him seem like a tree hugger. Although the fly is a living thing i thought William Blake's comparison is dumb and meaningless. And though he was creative, he seemed to be wasting time in my opinion.

No comments: